Call me back

Tenant FAQs

1. Identifying a property you would like to rent

(a) What properties are available?

We list properties as either Furnished or Unfurnished. Unfurnished Properties are let with carpets and curtains and often with the main kitchen appliances. The appliances supplied varies property to property. Furnished Properties will usually have basic furnishings (but not crockery, TVs, bed linen etc). You should satisfy yourself as to the level of furnishings, appliances etc provided prior to the completion of the Tenancy Agreement. Additional furnishing will not normally be provided after the start of the tenancy. If you have any queries about furnishings, you are advised to discuss these with CP Walker & Son before you submit your application.

(b) How do I arrange a viewing?

Our website provides a useful initial point of reference prior to viewing. Internal photos, room sizes and floor plans are shown to give you an impression of what each property is like. There is a link to Google Maps so you can see the location and the surrounds. If you do not have internet access, there are Browse Points in our Office that you can use to look through the list of available properties and shortlist those that you would like to view.

If you want to view a property then you need to make an appointment through our office. This can be done via email or telephone. Once an appointment has been made, viewers are advised to re-confirm the appointment by calling our office before 10 am on the day of the appointment. Failure to re-confirm may result in our representative not being at the property at the appointed time. Please note that appointment requests made via our CP Walker website where time and date is specified by you should not be presumed as confirmed until you hear from us.

2. Completing a Tenancy Application Form

(a) What do we do if we see a property that we like?

Each person who wants to live at the property who is over the age of 18 is required to complete an Application Form. This provides us with the details we require to obtain the owner’s approval to proceed with the letting.  We do not normally accept applications from people wanting to move in more than 4 weeks after when the property is available. When submitting an application form you will also need to provide:

  • Photo ID (copy of passport or driving licence)
  • Proof of your existing address (e.g. copy of utility bill or similar)
  • Evidence of your income (e.g. employment contract, payslips)
  • 3 months' bank statements
  • Any other evidence to support your application (e.g. student registration or scholarship funding documents

Your application will not be considered by the Owner until all the required supporting documents have been submitted.

(b) What happens after we have submitted the application?

If the landlord is happy to accept your application (subject to satisfactory referencing and contract), we will confirm this to you in writing and request that you pay the Holding Deposit equivalent to one week's rent.  Once the Holding Deposit has been paid, we will mark the property as “Under Offer” and no further viewings will take place or applications accepted whilst references are completed. Landlord references are taken and a report is obtained from a Credit Agency. Please ensure that you contact your previous landlord to advise them that we will be contacting them so that references are returned as quickly as possible.

(c)  What happens if there are multiple applications for a property?

Occasionally we are in a position where we are expecting to receive more than one application for the same property (e.g. if two parties view the property at the same time and both want to apply). In these circumstances, we will ask all interested parties to submit application forms and supporting documents. The applications will be put to the landlord for a decision on which application to accept. Once a decision has been made, we will inform the successful applicants, request payment of the Holding Deposit and, once paid, referencing process will begin.

(d) How do we know that the property is ours?

Once the Owner has accepted your application subject to satisfactory references and the Holding Deposit has been paid, the property is taken off the market and is reserved for you.  We will confirm this to you in writing and will not show the property to other applicants or accept other applications.  In return, at this point we expect that you will not apply for any other properties.  We aim to complete the application process and complete the Tenancy Agreement within 3 working days of your application being accepted by the Owner.  Your Holding Deposit is at risk where an applicant of guarantor a) provides false or misleading information which it is reasonable for a landlord or agent to consider in deciding whether to grant the tenancy b) fails a Right to Rent check c) withdraws from the property d) fails to take all reasonable steps to enter into a tenancy agreement when a landlord has done so.  

(e)  Why might my application be refused?

Your application could be refused if we are unable to verify your identity and legal right to rent a property in the UK, you have adverse credit history, unsatisfactory references from your employer/previous landlord, or if you do not satisfy our affordability criteria.

(f)  Will I need a Guarantor?

If you do not have sufficient income to cover the rent, or there are any other issues with your application, it may be that the landlord will accept your application, subject to you providing a satisfactory guarantor. Our minimum affordability criteria are that you have evidence of income 2.5x the rent.  The Gurantor is someone e.g. a parent or guardian, who will agree to guarantee the rent and the other obligations of the lease. This person should be in full time employment and/or own their home.  Guarantors will be asked to complete a separate application and will be subject to a credit check. Please ask for a Guarantor Application Form for your Guarantor to complete so that your application can be properly considered. 

3. Checking and Completing the Tenancy Agreement

Once references have been approved, we can complete the Tenancy Agreement. A copy of the Tenancy Agreement will be provided to you prior to the signing so that you can read through and raise any queries that you may have on any of the terms and conditions. Once you have checked the Tenancy Agreement, it will be sent to you again via DocuSign software that enables electronic signature by all parties.  Once the Agreement has been signed, you will need to pay the deposit.

4.  Before you move in

(a)  Pay initial monies

On completion of the tenancy, and before you are given the keys to the property, you will be required to pay: 

  • One month’s rent in advance (less the Holding Deposit payment that will be allocated to the initial instalment of rent)
  • A Deposit which is equivalent to one month’s rent plus £100 (if rent above £650) or one month's rent plus £50 (if rent below £650).  If renting a room in a house share - half a month's rent)

The Deposit will usually be held by CP Walker & Son, in accordance with the terms of The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). Some of our ‘Let Only’ clients make alternative arrangements for the registration of deposits. The TDS provides tenants with the protection that the Deposit will be dealt with fairly and will be returned at the end of the tenancy less any proper deductions. The Scheme offers an arbitration service for both parties to use should there be any dispute about the Deposit at the end of the Tenancy. For further details, click here.

Cash or debit card payments can be taken on the day of move in, but if the initial monies are paid by cheque or bank transfer, these funds must be cleared in our account before you can move in.  We cannot accept payment by credit or non-UK debit cards.

(b)  Arrange Internet Services etc.

Once the legally binding Tenancy Agreement has been signed, you may wish to start making arrangements for setting up internet, phone and TV services, given that there can be a significant lead in period before the services are set up. We will not be able to confirm either whether there is an active BT or Virgin connection or which company is currently providing the telephone/internet services. As a Virgin Media partner, we can arrange for you to be contacted by our dedicated advisor with details of offers exclusive to C.P. Walker and Son tenants. Please ask a member of staff for details.

5. When you move in

(a) Collect Keys

After having signed the Agreement, paid all initial monies and completed the 'Right to Rent' check by physically bringing in your ID document to our Office, you will be given keys to the property. We will also supply you with a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate (if applicable). Future rent payments need to be made by Standing Order (bank transfer) and you will be required to make arrangements to set this up acordingly. We recommend that you check with your bank before the next rent due date to ensure that they have a record of the Standing Order being set up.

(b) Agree the Inventory

When or shortly after you move into the property, we will give you an Inventory & Schedule of Condition.  This document records the general state of the property as at the start of the tenancy, and lists its contents. You will then have a period of 7 days to check through the Inventory to make sure that you are happy with it, making any necessary comments before returning it to us. The Inventory forms a record of the state of the property for the benefit of both parties and against which any disputes can be referred to during or at the end of the tenancy.

(c) Set up accounts with the Utility Suppliers

We will take meter readings at the start of the Tenancy and will notify the gas, electric and water suppliers. We will also notify the Local Authority Council Tax Department.  If you are exempt from Council Tax, you will need to provide the Local Authority with the relevant evidence. Once accounts have been set up, and the suppliers begin billing you, you should speak directly with them with any queries that you may have on any of these accounts, such as ensuring you are on the cheapest tariff. As these accounts will be in your name, the suppliers will not discuss any aspect of the account with CP Walker or the Landlord. Utility bills sent to your property for previous occupiers should be forwarded to CP Walker to allow us to deal with them.

(d) Reporting Problems

If CP Walker are managing your property on behalf of the landlord, maintenance issues should be reported to us via our online Fixflo system click here or by telephone - 0115 925 4062 if an emergency.

If you have any further questions, please telephone 0115 925 4062 or email

"We are a landlord with a portfolio of 40 properties in the Lenton area and have worked with CP Walker for a number of years. We value their local knowledge of the market and have always found them to be friendly, helpful and professional. They have provided us with a first class service and we wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to other Landlords. [Lettings client of 5 years]"
Evenbrook Ltd